Meet Sherry Kumar. Daredevil. Enigma. Adventurer. Goddess extraordinaire. Freedom lover. Free spirit. A force to be reckoned with. Years ago, she discovered that her sole purpose in life is to live it blissfully, totally and shamelessly. She is a glutton for life.
Sherry operates TravelClubsInternational.com, which allows people who organize groups to fund their own travels or raise money for a cause or project. She also founded TheGoddessPrinciples.net, a women’s empowerment network, where she speaks to women and propels them forward, to stand in their power and operate in that place. This motivates her to do everything else.
With a career background in banking and finance, a career in travel somewhat fell into her lap after reaching a low-point in life. She has resolved to do only what turns her on. In 2011, Sherry decided to travel to Istanbul on a whim, inviting via email 20,000 people to join her on her tour of Turkey; sixteen people from all over the globe showed up. They enjoyed the trip immensely; as soon as the trip ended, they asked Sherry to plan another trip. Word spread and local non-profits started asking her to plan their fundraising trips. This is how her business was born and she has been exploring the world ever since. She enjoys being in the position to raise funds for noble causes through travel and has worked with incredible people all over the globe, including royalty and visionaries, and each one has had a powerful impact on her.
Twelve years ago, she began to meditate and slowly started to realize that there is so much beyond this 3D reality. The first time she connected to the state of bliss, she understood that life is meant to be the ultimate experience. The Goddess Principles came about in the same way. In a meditative state, it dawned on her that women are so much more powerful than we allow ourselves to be. Inspiration led her to do both, and she absolutely enjoys them.
Growing up in her father’s suitcase, she was always on the move. Her father, a diplomat and consummate traveler, inspired her. Sherry wanted to be like him, globetrot, meet amazing people, and never have to live an ordinary life. Her last job in life will be to retire at an African animal sanctuary and devote her time and attention to big cats. In her travels, she has encountered tigers, lions, and cheetahs. They have all been life-altering experiences and she has even volunteered at a couple of sanctuaries.
Sherry is very hands-on with several non-profits in her town. She serves as a board member of the Geographical Society of Philadelphia, and chairs a committee on Planned Parenthood, all while running two east coast chapters of Eurocircle.com, a global network for Europeans and expats. She was recently asked to speak at a women’s leadership organization and a group of female financial professionals about discovering our inner power, and connecting to the Goddess within. You can find Sherry currently working with a youth empowerment organization to send a team of young female soccer players to the World Cup in France, where they will meet the French national team. Plus, she’s planning a trip to Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan in the fall. She is literally my travel soul sister!
“No apologies, no regrets”. ~Sherry Kumar
1. First thing you do in the morning? I boil a pot of Darjeeling tea, and then I meditate. That’s also the last thing I do before bedtime.
2. Best advice you’ve received? My dad taught me that the past never come back to anyone, and to waste no time looking back. Thanks to him, I am very good at marching forward.
3. Dream vacation to escape to? Alaska. I have never actually been there, but the vast open spaces, the wilderness, the solitude of living somewhere where I can be in touch with nature and just myself is very appealing.
4. Everything tastes better with... Champagne!
5. How do you stay organized? That’s simple. I never shop. I don’t buy clothes, and if I bring something new home, I have to throw at least two things out. My closet is minimal, my fridge is empty, and I don’t bring home knick-knacks. I own some beautiful art, some hard earned jewelry and a nice car. Everything else is just clutter.
6. What can you not live without? I am a master of letting go, and moving on, so I pride myself on being able to live without anything. But, what makes my life healthy and balanced is my meditation practice, which I have been enjoying for over twelve years. It has the power to heal me, inspire me, energize me, and put me in a lasting state of bliss. That is one thing I would never give up.
7. Best travel tip? Go with the flow and avoid planning too much.
LOVE IT. SHARE IT.
Photo Courtesy: Sherry Kumar